Monday, September 28, 2009

Long Story Short

I was checking my email on my mom's computer last Saturday when lightning struck the phone line (she still uses a dial-up connection), fried the modem, and knocked me off the chair. Next thing I know, I'm waking up in the hospital. The doctor said I must've blacked out when I hit the floor.

Only I wasn't really blacked out. Not right away, anyway. I mean, my body was obviously still laying there on the floor behind my mother's desk and it must've looked like I was unconscious, but that's not what was really going on. Somehow--I know this sounds crazy and I can't explain it--somehow I ended up in the closet of an office I've never been in before. Listening to voices I didn't recognize. And I could tell by the way they talked and the words they used that it wasn't 2009 anymore.

I swear it's true, all of it. I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried. What makes it worse is that while I was crouching in that closet for those thirty seconds hoping not to get caught, I heard those voices planning to steal some artwork. Lots of expensive artwork. And then I don't remember anything after that, except waking up in the hospital with my mom standing over me crying.

That was the first incident. Today was the second, and this time it was right in front of Sketch. That's when we realized my new ability.

So for now I have to hide my real identity and location. Me and Sketch both. Because not only do we have to figure out where I was and what I overheard--we also have to figure out who's following me.

No comments: